Saturday, December 10, 2005

Fast Eddie!

To showcase another one of our stars...
Our very own Edwin B. Staples, Jr. ran his first marathon on Saturday, December 10 at Kiawah Island, SC. Folks, that's 26.2 miles. Twenty-six! That's A LOT OF MILES.





As Jason would say, EDDIE = STUD



He ran with his roommate Steve Cerveny and friend Mike Herman.



Brooke Worth and I travelled with the guys as roadies and Kristin hosted us for the weekend.



We made some fun signs to cheer the guys on and ended up getting some great responses to our "Jesus is Better Than Gel" sign (gel is this weird goopy stuff that runners eat to keep them energized during a long run).



It was awesome to see Eddie run the race and I'm still in awe. God really rewarded him for all his hard work over the last 6 months. I'm sure Eddie will follow up on this post with some anecdotes.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

LOL! Thanks, Sarah. What a fun weekend... Thanks everybody for your encouragement and prayers--I can't put a price tag on that.

Sarah's right about the stories... So many funny things happened, from me accidentally splashing cold water into my eye (while overzealously trying to drink), to fellow runners on the course thinking that I might give up because I sat down on the ground to stretch. "You can't quit now! Come on, Eddie!" :) One thing that blessed me immensely was the support from everyone: personal friends, spectators, and even other runners. It was fun for me to cheer strangers on, and to hear people cheer me by name (it was on my shirt as you can see). That made the world of a difference.

Sarah, Kristin, & Brooke (Raleigh lifegroup leader) were the bomb! The were phenomenal supporters and cheerleaders. (Thank you-thank you.) Their signs were the best-looking ones I saw during the whole race, and that's not just because they were for Steve, Mike, and I. "Jesus is better than gel." Classic! :)

Infinite thanks goes to KRISTIN for hosting me and the others and being our Charleston tourguide. Where do I start? She went out of her way to find a place for us guys to stay for free, she cooked a ginormous dinner the night before the race (multiple kinds of pasta, salad, etc.), and she gave us a world-class tour of Downtown Charleston (she's knows everything!) Steve, Mike, & I were very blessed.

Now that marathon training is over, I look forward to seeing more of everyone!

10:32 AM  
Blogger Ceeece! said...

Way to go Eddie! I still can't tell you enough how proud I am of you. Those pics are great! And I love the signs. "Jesus is better than Gel" KT had to come up with that one to be sure. You are a huge inspiration to us all. Multi-talented athlete that you are.

2:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home